I’ve received a few inquiries on the process to launching my consulting firm. No matter how much the authors of “get rich quick” books or other experts say, there’s no perfect formula. If that were the case, then the success rate for startups wouldn’t be a measly 10%. That’s right, 90% of startups fail. To make things worse, 96% of businesses fail within 10 years of inception.
Ok, enough doom and gloom. I started my consulting firm. I’m ready to take on those staggering numbers. In fact, I’m excited. I know my success will come from:
- Hard work
- Constantly learning and self-education
- Not trying to do everything on my own
- Providing value to my customers and partners
Before launching my business I had good industry experience and higher education. I’ve worked in sales, marketing, strategy, and operations. I’ve had international experience and an MBA. But, “launching” is a different story. I needed more information. Now, I’m confident in the launch process. I understand the rules of engagement and attraction. I can combine all my previous experience with launch experience. I’m able to devise launch strategies and tactics to execute business launches.
I’ve listed two books below that I recommend. They are good books, simple to follow, and provided me valuable insight. Operational experience is always better than just reading. Yet, reading first is better than launching without any knowledge. Both of these authors have developed their own launch formula. The best thing you can do is read the books, find the information that helps you, and adapt your launch plan to your business. Get some quick insight, and then go get that operational (launch) experience. Always remember, doing and learning is better than not doing and not learning.
Launching My Business
- You’ll find Alan Weiss is a little conceited and blunt. I actually liked that because he cuts through the BS to give you straightforward answers. His Launch process is specific to starting a consulting firm, but the ideas can be used for any business. If you’re a solopreneur, Alan will speak to you. You can adapt the principles in Million Dollar Launch to your business.
Launch: An Internet Millionaire's Secret Formula To Sell Almost Anything Online, Build A Business You Love, And Live The Life Of Your Dreams – Jeff Walker (NY Times Best Seller)
- This is a great book for anyone interested in launching a business or even a side hustle. Jeff Walker provides simple steps and real-life examples throughout the book. You are able to visualize the process and develop your own plan from his process. Don’t get too caught up on following every single step exactly how he explains it. Focus on the ideas and bigger picture. Adapt his process to your style, audience, and business model.
LAUNCH: A Fast-Track Summary of the Jeff Walker Book (Fast-Track Guides) – Nina Harrington Digital ($1.99)
- I haven’t read this book, but it’s $1.99 and sums up Launch by Jeff Walker. Could be a really good, yet quick resource guide for his robust process.
Do you have a launch story you’d like to share? Are there any resources you’d recommend?