Each week I'll provide a "Book of the Week." These are books I've read and recommend. I'll give you a few of my thoughts then you can decide if it will help you as well. 

Emotional Intelligence – Why It Can Matter More Than IQ – by Daniel Goleman

In the business world you constantly hear the term “Emotional Intelligence.” Did you know that IQ contributes to only 20% of your success? The other 80% is directly linked to emotional intelligence. Success isn’t defined by your paycheck. It includes the relationships you build and they way you live your life. Peter Salovey analyzed emotional intelligence in 5 realms:

1.   Self-awareness

2.   Managing Emotions

3.   Motivation

4.   Empathy

5.   Handling Relationships

Daniel Goleman breaks down each realm and provides simplistic ways to apply emotional intelligence to all areas of life. Whether it’s for management, in marriage, parenting, or even in medicine. In this book you’ll learn:

  • How do you define emotional intelligence?
  • How does developing emotional intelligence drive success?
  • How can managers / leaders use it to improve performance?
  • Can you apply emotional intelligence in your daily life?

I’d recommend the book for new managers or anyone wanting to apply emotional intelligence in their daily life.

Give it a read and let me know what you think.

 

Stewart

 

Comment